Wharf Carrier – Benefits of Rail
Objective & Challenge
Increased traffic congestion in and around the port precinct coupled with a lengthy road journey to the main delivery centres of Welshpool and Forrestfield is resulting in transporters only achieving a minimal delivery return per day.
Our client, a medium sized Wharf Carrier needed to increase their delivery effectiveness from the port to delivery centres in Welshpool and Forrestfield.
Intermodal transferred a large portion of freight to the Forrestfield precinct allowing our client to achieve multiple short haul deliveries to their end users. Thus reducing trucking costs while increasing turnover. These higher margin returns are further compounded by the use of our container depot, Intermodal Container Services (ICS).
- eliminated unwanted waiting time within the wharf terminal
- reduced a truck’s journey wharf-end user
- increased our customer’s profitability by creating short haul delivery options
- achieved efficiencies without compromising service delivery
- provided a full service inland port facility.